Required Gear for Iditasport® Races: Original, Extreme and Impossible.
- SPOT or InReach locator with new lithium batteries(Racers may use their own locator otherwise rental units will be available for additional cost. Racers using personal devices are responsible for activation and service costs)
- Negative 20F sleeping bag (minimum)– negative 40F (recommended)
- Bivy sack or tent (unless sleeping bag has a built-in one)
- Sleeping pad
- Retro-reflective vest or reflective striping sewn to gear etc.
- Containers to hold 132 oz. of water (minimum)
- Battery operated head lamp & red blinking light with lithium batteries.
- Liquid or Solid fuel Stove: NO canister stoves (Recommend–MSR Whisper Light International)
- Iditasport® Classicl: 10 oz. liquid, or 24, 14gram solid fuel tablets (minimum)
- Iditasport® Extreme & Impossible: 20 oz. liquid, or 48, 14gram solid fuel tablets (minimum)
- Cooking Pot
- Firestarter (matches, lighter or flint & steel)
- 5,000 calories of Emergency food supply
- Chemical handwarmers (16 minimum)
The list above is the just the required minimums at race start. Racers should determine how much fuel, food, batteries, etc. they need based on their expected time on course and distance between drops. Its wise to include extra supplies.
President’s Day Iditasport® 100K (62 miles)
No Gear required, or Spot locators.
Recommended Clothing & Gear
We do not recommend using rechargeable electronics or alkaline batteries in cold conditions
- Down parka and overpants
- Wind jacket with hood & pants
- Fleece jacket with hood
- Mittens with fleece glove liners
- Warm wool hat, ear band, NoFog mask
- Long underwear
- Midweight fleece or primaloft vest
- Winter wool socks & liner socks
- Running shoes with NEOS Navigator Overboots/Sorel-type boots
- Goggles & sunglasses
- Down booties
- GPS, map, compass
- Chemical glow sticks
- Safety whistle
- Spare headlamp/flashlight
Train with the gear you intend to use. Then you can find out if you need extra gear or if you can eliminate something. The main goal in adventure sports is stay safe and have fun! We do not recommend rechargeable items AT ALL for these events. You will not be able to charge in a timely manner–the electric source are portable generators–they are used for heat & lighting in the tent camps & lodges.